[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Comments on Jefferson Parkway resolution

kohls at bouldercolorado.gov kohls at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Dec 21 10:50:15 MST 2010

Sender: Ageton, Suzy

Colleagues:  Since I will be absent from the Dec. 21st meeting, I am stating here the concerns/questions I would have raised.

First, I share most of the concerns Matt raised in his 12/18/10 Hotline memo.  In addition, I would pose the following:

1.        We are being asked to trade our opposition to the Jefferson Parkway and the transfer of needed right of way for support of the purchase of Section 16 and its inclusion in the RF Wildlife Refuge.  At the same time , subsection 2 of the proposed resolution decouples these two items.  This section requires that the acquisition of the transportation right-of-way by JPPHA be separate from and not contingent upon the acquisition of any portion of Section 16.   In my mind, the two are fundamentally linked and one should not be finalized without the other, with the language in any agreement clearly so stipulating .

2.       Where is Arvada in all of these negotiations?  Given Arvada's development interests in this area, I think we need to explore some agreement with them to insure that the protections we are seeking with Jefferson County will not be undone by some actions of Arvada.

3.        With regard to Matt's 6th point, I would like to understand the level of protection that Jefferson County affords the open space it owns adjacent to 93. How strong is the protection for this open space?  If the land is not permanently designated as open space, we may need to seek assurance that Boulder and/or Boulder County would be given right of first refusal if the land was ever to be sold or potentially developed by Jeffco.

In my mind, we need to be thinking of this in the context of the entire area, not just the tradeoff between Section 16 and the JP desired right of way on the eastern side of the Rocky Flats site.