[BoulderCouncilHotline] Questions ahead of tonight's West Pearl discussion

Benjamin, Matt BenjaminM at bouldercolorado.gov
Thu Sep 15 11:03:56 MDT 2022

Dear Staff, Council Colleagues and Members of the Community,

Ahead of our conversation on West Pearl St. tomorrow, I have some clarifying questions that may help our discussion and provide greater context for my colleagues and community at large.

  *   In trying to better understand impacts to our businesses on West Pearl, Downtown and throughout Boulder, what are the numbers (percentages) of empty office space?
     *   We know that the business lunch crowd pre-pandemic was a regular financial support for many local restaurants, especially downtown. Do we have data that shows sales tax revenue changes from 2019 to present as a function of office vacancy?  Or better yet do we have detailed sales tax info from restaurant on how hard their lunch services were and continue to be hindered by WFH and empty office space?
  *   Do we know how restaurants modified their hours of operation to deal with the shrinking supply of staff and workers from 2019 to present?
     *   Knowing if there are differences in the aggregate hours of being open for business from West Pearl, Downtown and the rest of the city, will help decipher what variables are having impacts on restaurants and other businesses dealing with staffing shortages.
  *   We understand from Community Vitality that the West Pearl parking spaces are among the most productive from a parking revenue perspective throughout the city. Is there information that tells us how long the average person parks on West Pearl and what their parking habits may or may not tell us about their patronage habits?
  *   How many surveys has the city and DBP compiled of downtown and Wet Pearl businesses about the West Pearl road closure?
  *   Outside of the surveys focused on hearing from only West Pearl and downtown businesses, were there any efforts (surveys, community connectors, etc…) from community vitality and/or the city to hear from the community at large or that of our tourists?
  *   Given Community Vitality’s core mission is supporting businesses in our business districts, what process and/or what department is responsible for balancing out that perspective and advocacy with respect to hearing from the broader community?
  *   Do we have a Board or commission that’s jurisdiction is to provide oversight for city decisions pertaining to the movement of cars, busses, and parking in and around our core business areas?

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my questions.

With gratitude,

Matt

Matt Benjamin
Pronouns: he/him/his