[BoulderCouncilHotline] Thoughts on Nov. 3rd meeting

Benjamin, Matt BenjaminM at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Oct 31 13:59:33 MDT 2022

Dear Community members, Staff and Colleagues,

I will be out of town for the upcoming Nov. 3rd meeting and wanted to offer my thoughts on some of the issues on our agenda.

Consent Agenda:

  *   I have no issues with the consent agenda

Call up/check-ins:

  *   No desire to call up either of these

Item 5A: Family Medical Leave Insurance Program

  *   I generally support staff’s recommendation to not opt-in to this program. Given that the city already provides basically the same benefits, I don’t think we need to join at this point.

Item 6A: Access Management Parking Strategy (AMPS) Residential Access Management Programs (RAMP)

1. Does council support the implementation of the recommended performance-based pricing changes?

  *   Yes, but I would like us to go with a larger increase in the parking fees. Parking fees are our primary tool in attempting to modify people’s behavior around driving and VMT’s (Vehicle Miles Travelled). I would support a $1 increase. This would be good timing with the launch of our ebike rebate program. Mode shifting people is critical to reaching out green house gas emissions. Remember that transportation emissions are the one true lever the city can pull to reduce our city’s overall emissions and carbon footprint.
  *   One thing I am skeptical off is any reduction of parking fees in the city. I see no need to make it easier to park. Until, we see substantive declines in our VMT’s we need to continue to make street parking increasingly harder.

2. Does council support staff’s continued work to develop access management strategies for the East Aurora Neighborhood?

  *   I support the continued work for East Aurora Neighborhood.

3. Does council have any questions or feedback about the proposed next steps for RAMP and the associated Trail Access Management?

  *   I support the continued study and eventual input from our Boards before returning to us in 2023.

On a macro level, I would still like Council to discuss why our parking services and overall strategies are not managed by the Transportation Department with oversight from TAB (Transportation Advisory Board). Coming back to the goals surrounding VMT’s, emission reduction and 15 minutes neighborhoods, I think that we need to do a better job of holistically planning and managing how people move/get around in our community. Could this issue be discussed in a future study session?

Item 7A: Increasing Settlement Threshold

  *   I support this as I trust our City Manager to make the right decisions on settlements of this size and thus no need to come before council for approval.

With gratitude,

Matt

Matt Benjamin
Pronouns: he/him/his