[BoulderCouncilHotline] Thoughts for Thursday's meeting

Brockett, Aaron BrockettA at bouldercolorado.gov
Wed Oct 12 18:49:45 MDT 2022

Good evening colleagues and Hotline followers. I will not be able to attend Thursday's meeting as I am just leaving on a trip to visit our sister cities of Nablus in Palestine and Ramat HaNegev in Israel. I did want to offer a few thoughts about our agenda items for that evening:

Item 2A: I enthusiastically support Resolution 1318 which expresses City Council's support for the county ballot measures 1A, 1B, and 1C which are .1% tax measures to support wildfire mitigation, emergency services, and transportation respectively, as well as BVSD's measure 5A for school capital construction and maintenance. These are all important investments in critical needs for our community.

Item 3A: I support the proposed changes to the city's policy statement. I've seen these already as a member of the Intergovernmental Affairs committee and think they move our advocacy efforts in the right direction.

Item 4A: I am generally supportive of the proposed approach to the Community Non-Profit Grant Structure for the Community, Culture, Resilience, and Safety Tax. I appreciate the changes staff made to the program structure since the last set of feedback that Council gave. I think it's a good idea to periodically reevaluate the different funding levels after we see how successful the initial grant rounds are. I also think the proposed program evaluation structure will be critical to the long term success of the program, including development of specific desired outcomes and KPI's and then tracking how the program fulfills those.

Item 5A: I would like to see Council take a formal position of "No" on ballot measure 2F. 2F would repeal the ordinance that City Council passed that, among other provisions, annexes the CU South property. Voting No on the measure will ensure that the annexation proceeds and the city can build desperately needed flood mitigation for the 2,300 Boulder residents in harms way in the South Boulder Creek floodplain, along with other open space preservation and housing benefits for the community.

Thank you for your consideration.

Best,

Aaron Brockett

[cid:67a6d749-a4b7-4df6-975f-0a592678fb51]

<http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/>

C: 720-984-1863

brocketta at bouldercolorado.gov