[BoulderCouncilHotline] Missing Council Meeting On Tuesday March 15th 2022

Joseph, Junie JosephJ at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Mar 14 14:10:38 MDT 2022

Dear Colleagues and community members,

I wish you all a fruitful meeting on Tuesday March 15th, 2022.  I am currently attending the National League of Cities Conference in Washington DC. and will return on March 17th to resume my duties in Boulder.

I would like to share with you an article from the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) that discusses the role of libraries. The opening sentence of the article reveals a simple truth that we all know or have learn to appreciate. It begins with the affirmation that “libraries are the gateway to knowledge and culture. They play a fundamental role in our society.” Further the article claims that “the resources and services libraries offer create opportunities for learning, for supporting literacy and education, and for helping to shape new ideas and perspectives that are central to a creative and innovative society.” All the things that we wish for as a community. I hope you will read this article ahead of your council meeting on Tuesday and allow it to inspire you to make the right decisions on behalf of the community.

And if truly (after weighing the pros and the cons), districting will help improve the library system and provide social equity, then we should do it. After all, an informed citizenry is a social good.

PS: This email may have formatting issues upon receipt.

Article:
Ben White. (August 2012). Guaranteeing Access to Knowledge: The Role of Libraries. British Library. Available at: < https://www.wipo.int/wipo_magazine/en/2012/04/article_0004.html>. Accessed on March 12th, 2022.

With my Highest & Best Regards to you,
Junie

Junie Joseph
Council Member
MA Human Rights/J.D.
[cid:dc634c15-fb8f-4f90-bc94-78d68dec47a3]<http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/>

Phone: 720-789-3234
JosephJ at bouldercolorado.gov

City Council
1777 Broadway Street Boulder Colorado 80302
http://www.bouldercolorado.gov<http://www.boulderparks-rec.org/>

"The woods would be very silent if only the birds with the sweetest songs were heard." H.V.D