[BoulderCouncilHotline] CML Reflection & CML Board Election update:

Joseph, Junie JosephJ at bouldercolorado.gov
Sat Jun 25 19:26:43 MDT 2022

Dear Council Members,

I am writing to share with you my reflection on the 100th Colorado Municipal League (CML) Conference. Thank you for the opportunity to represent Boulder at that most important convening. I did not win the election to become a member of the CML Board. It is reported that there were 95 voting municipalities, each w/ one vote. I was in the 4thplace position w/ 52 votes. There were five candidates, and three open seats. Only the top three vote-getters would make it onto the Board that day: Thornton with 71, City of Pueblo with 62, and Loveland with 58 votes. Although I did not win, I am grateful for the opportunity and the experience. I have met so many people who showed goodwill toward our Boulder Community, for that I am grateful. Thank you to Council and Staff who supported me along the way through this process.

Even though I was running a campaign for the Board, I participated in over 13 sessions and breakouts. Some of the highlights of the Conference for me:

Done-in-a-day volunteer opportunity: w/ Smart Bellies
I Helped pack backpacks full of food for children. Smart Bellies is an organization that strives to eliminate childhood hunger on the weekends by providing backpacks full of nutritious food.

There were various municipalities involved in this project- pictured below:

[cid:347de662-e96d-4f43-8a50-722d2da06eed]

General session: Hurdle Adversity -- Embrace Your New Normal Mindset Presented by Gulf War Army Veteran, and Paralympic silver medalist, John Register. This presentation charted the amazing lived-experience journey of John Register, who was a world-class athlete and Army combat veteran. Register's life changed with one wrong step that resulted in his left leg being amputated. As reported by Register, he developed a “normal mindset” and proceeded to make two Paralympic teams and win the Long Jump silver medal in Sydney, Australia just seven years post his amputation. This inspirational keynote focused on identifying individual fears which constrict our growth mindset and then provided a pathway leading from fear to freedom to win life's medals because there is no going back to normal.

General Session:  From Conflict to Conversation
Keynote speaker Matt Lehrman, discussed how leaders can tackle complex and sensitive community issues in ways that make people feel heard, respected, and empowered. This session explored pragmatic approaches for city and town leaders to conduct collaborative and courageous conversations. What stuck with me during this presentation is when Speaker Lehrman challenged us to be fully present and show-up for our community values.

Housing Tour de Breck
Arranged by the “Town of Breckenridge Tour” this tour showcased recently completed workforce housing projects, as a primer on Breckenridge’s community efforts to keep vitality and diversity in the mountain resort. During the presentation and tour I learned that this housing is also critical to workforce retention and recruitment which has been especially challenging. I learned about the mix of development arrangements that enabled a variety of housing from studios to townhomes, including rentals and for-sale options that have kept the “locals” living in the Breckenridge community.

Homelessness:  How Every Community Can Leverage Resources, by the City of Boulder
I was not at this presentation because I was on the housing tour. However, I have heard from various municipal representatives that Vicki Ebner did a great job. During my conversations with these various community leaders, they tout the City of Boulder as a solution leader in the homelessness space and a city that other municipalities can learn best practices from. I was deeply proud to hear that other communities in Colorado are looking to Boulder for best practices. But also, these conversations reminded me that even though we still have a long way to go in resolving our homelessness issues in Boulder, we should still acknowledge the work that is being done in our community by community members/leaders and City staff. Coming back from CML, I have a renewed perspective on this issue.

PS: this email may have formatting issues, once received.

Once again, Thank you!

Junie

Junie Joseph

Council Member

MA Human Rights/J.D.

[https://attachments.office.net/owa/JosephJ%40bouldercolorado.gov/service.svc/s/GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AAMkADM3MDk4NjIyLTBiNDgtNDA0MS05YzVmLTQ1YWUwYWY5NDhlOQBGAAAAAACyCJSanDNQS4FtZbr6cDqTBwAgn1tHzzm6Sq120cPF%2B3zGAAAAAAEPAAAgn1tHzzm6Sq120cPF%2B3zGAADDCzg0AAABEgAQAJ9XINjIiPpCmQzqimVc3O4%3D&thumbnailType=2&owa=outlook.office365.com&scriptVer=2020082005.06&X-OWA-CANARY=HVKHJer1ZkOU-wcEXKINphDHldLWTtgY0X5ohF6upqp1mBsHXcazApqU0wDUazfWwtHJfjaz_HE.&token=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IjU2MzU4ODUyMzRCOTI1MkRERTAwNTc2NkQ5RDlGMjc2NTY1RjYzRTIiLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJ4NXQiOiJWaldJVWpTNUpTM2VBRmRtMmRueWRsWmZZLUkifQ.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.IO-RygBNNY2lgYASwnI05Ksi0jUCr7Fnn1yHT3ZYZ2G8q-ybsVMREYCQXQ_9vJeF0abzWXTQCNV-Bu7mD3Re82lXDHnJkixDxJvYnnc2iIqt7cOLzUPTjyd8LGp0pp91KznHt_lCLmg03rhgGiKmxIWyocSIUbPISm6m3Q9YKM2ARv5ssWueYVcgZB05Lp-51bG530PLjDc1ZG7pJO2slzjnFNGhBYj_61p70X_ZznXR2FMOxH52VuR-2adkC4a0zpZbof4IOjwp4zmoaCVFylvnAJbNgOq1p2W_bsMT-3JxgTH7lhrWHj6nbi8rBiXJ9o0Vrt6GJBLbjjV8IMhnQg&animation=true]<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bouldercolorado.gov%2F&data=02%7C01%7Cjosephj%40bouldercolorado.gov%7C4b5d66795a964b908a1908d84ea83823%7C0a7f94bb40af4edcafad2c1af27bc0f3%7C0%7C0%7C637345831699915286&sdata=tDj8FMdhFx%2BBW3koLd%2F8qhp9tRKF9zYtayTmiB9z3fQ%3D&reserved=0>

Phone: 303-441-3002

JosephJ at bouldercolorado.gov<mailto:JosephJ at bouldercolorado.gov>

City Council

1777 Broadway Street Boulder Colorado 80302

http://www.bouldercolorado.gov<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.boulderparks-rec.org%2F&data=02%7C01%7Cjosephj%40bouldercolorado.gov%7C4b5d66795a964b908a1908d84ea83823%7C0a7f94bb40af4edcafad2c1af27bc0f3%7C0%7C0%7C637345831699920264&sdata=e4z8vQY3E0xNPEU%2FABPzMwixVNSLPmzlQRBJM3RQ8L8%3D&reserved=0>

When our truths outweigh our fears, anything is possible.
- John Register, Keynote Speaker of the 2022 CML Conference Opening General Session