[BoulderCouncilHotline] Even year elections

Friend, Rachel FriendR at bouldercolorado.gov
Fri Jul 15 16:44:55 MDT 2022

Hello colleagues, staff, and faithful Hotline followers,

At next week’s council meeting, we will be voting on consent on the first reading of our 2022 municipal  ballot measures. In order to avoid a “surprise,” I am flagging that I will be asking us to re-look at the even-year election option we chose. I would like us to reconsider the option where no one’s terms are extended (instead we would hold elections in 2023 & 2025 for 3-year council terms) and where the direct elect mayor vote would continue on track for 2023. And then even year elections would kick off in due course in 2026.

I believe that avoiding extending our terms, as well as not delaying the mayoral direct-election implementation, will allow Boulder voters to better focus on the heart of the issue: should we hold municipal elections in even years?

Further, some of the previous considerations centered on the desire to avoid holding 3 council elections in 4 years. But if any council members decline or cannot serve an extra year, that outcome could trigger a 3rd election in 4 years anyhow. Given the reality that I and at least one other council member have publicly stated an intention to resign rather than serve an extra year, I don’t think it’s terribly feasible to avoid a 3rd election within 4 years.

For any members of the public wondering, we will have a 2nd reading of this item — which will include a public hearing — next month. In the interim, email is a great way to share thoughts or concerns (my email is friendr at bouldercolorado.gov, and all of council can be reached at https://bouldercolorado.gov/contact-city-council-and-staff).

Thank you all for reading, and I look forward to the surprise-less discussion next week.

Warmly,
Rachel Friend (she)
City of Boulder
Mayor Pro Tem

(720) 601-0163

Office Hours:

https://calendly.com/bouldercitycouncil/officehours<https://calendly.com/bouldercitycouncil/officehours?month=2022-04>

“Where you see wrong or inequality or injustice, speak out, because this is your country.  This is your democracy. Make it. Protect it. Pass it on.” ~Thurgood Marshall