[BoulderCouncilHotline] Questions re: sheltering

Speer, Nicole SpeerN at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Jan 3 09:24:40 MST 2022

Dear colleagues and staff,
I am hoping to expedite our discussion of overflow sheltering at our meeting tomorrow night by posing some questions and points to consider prior to our meeting. I do not expect responses prior to our meeting, but I hope this note helps us get a better understanding of the problem space before our discussion.
James Baldwin wisely said, "Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed unless it is faced." So, here are some of the challenges we seem to be facing regarding sheltering:

  *   The shelter is at or near capacity, with well over 100 people using its services each night.
  *   There are likely more than 100 additional people living on the street, on our bike paths, and in parks or in vehicles.
  *   Winter storms and cold temperatures make it dangerous to be outdoors for extended periods of time.
  *   Some who are experiencing homelessness are unable to use the shelter, for various reasons.
  *   Our city has limited staffing options to expand sheltering, especially on short notice.
Given these challenges, here are some questions to consider:

  1.  Where are 2-3 options for where we can place a temporary, low barrier daytime and/or overflow shelter for this winter, that will encourage campers to move to safer and more stable environments?
  2.  What is needed at these locations to enable them to serve as a temporary shelter and how can the community help get them ready (e.g., cleaning, organizing supplies, etc.)?
  3.  How can we release a Request for Information within the next week to local service providers, faith communities, or other non-profits to find out if anyone has the capacity to staff a temporary day shelter and/or overflow nighttime shelter for the next 3-4 months?
  4.  What is an approximate range of funding that would be required to implement overflow sheltering for this winter? Where can this funding come from?
  5.  What, if any, resources (funds, staff) could the county, regional service providers, and neighboring municipalities contribute to Boulder's overflow sheltering efforts?
  6.  [Related] Are there any funding solutions that would help house those displaced by the Marshall Fire, many of whom have ties to Boulder? For example, can we offer incentives in the coming months to Boulderites with vacation homes, short-term rental properties, or extra space in primary homes to create more safe, affordable, and accessible transitional housing in the area?
Our city's 2021 revenue looks better than expected and we saw numerous times last year how quickly our community can jump into action when asked for help. If we give organizations and individuals in the community an opportunity to help us address unsheltered homelessness, can we find ways to improve this challenging situation in the short-term, while we continue to work on effective, long-term solutions?

-Nicole

Nicole Speer, Ph.D.
Boulder City Councilmember
Pronouns: she, her(s), ella