[BoulderCouncilHotline] Questions about Use Table Changes

Brockett, Aaron BrockettA at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Dec 13 12:11:02 MST 2022

Hello colleagues, city staff, and Hotline followers. This Thursday we will be holding a public hearing about an ordinance to make changes to the city's Use Tables. I greatly appreciate all of the work city staff has put into these proposed changes, as well as the Planning Board, and particularly the Planning Board's Use Table Subcommittee. I have a few questions for city staff about the specifics of some of the proposed changes.

  1.  Residential in Industrial Zones. The ordinance proposes to prohibit residential uses in the IS and IM zones. The memo states that the current approach for allowing residential in industrial zones is somewhat haphazard and doesn't allow for logical development of residential in those zones. However, that current approach has allowed for the development of hundreds of homes, including a substantial amount of on-site affordable housing. Is there an alternative change we could make to the current code that would still allow residential in those zones, even if there isn't a subcommunity plan for that area, but that would be more consistent and less haphazard?
  2.  Office uses. The ordinance proposes to combine the Technical Office and Professional Office uses into one general Office category, and then add restrictions to that use such as size limitations and prohibiting office uses on the ground floor in the IG and IM zones. This would make many properties that already have office buildings in those zones nonconforming with the new rules. What would be the consequences for those now nonconforming properties, and do we know how many properties would be affected?
  3.  Manufacturing types. The ordinance proposes to change the existing "manufacturing use" and "manufacturing use with potential for off-site impact" categories to "light industrial" and "general industrial", with updated definitions for the newly named types, including a definition for general industrial of uses that involve the processing of raw or primary materials. What would be the consequences for a use that was moved from the existing "manufacturing use" to the new "general industrial" category, and do we know how many properties would be affected by this change? Would businesses that don't have any measurable off-site impacts but do utilize some raw materials be affected by this change as well?

Thanks again for everyone's hard work on this subject, and I look forward to our discussion on Thursday.

Best,

Aaron Brockett

[cid:b92786d6-1db8-4fae-a3e1-bc13d09b7a2a]

<http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/>

C: 720-984-1863

brocketta at bouldercolorado.gov