[BoulderCouncilHotline] Questions re: Item 6B (outdoor dining & west end vehicle closure)

Speer, Nicole SpeerN at bouldercolorado.gov
Sun Apr 17 20:57:56 MDT 2022

Good evening, colleagues, staff, and Hotline readers,

I hope everyone who celebrated/is celebrating Ramadan, Passover, Vaisakhi, or Easter enjoyed/is enjoying their holiday.

Below are some questions I have regarding the outdoor dining and West End vehicle closure update (Item 6B). If possible, having even basic responses ("yes"/"no"/"maybe"/"don't know") or off the cuff estimates before our meeting would be helpful for me in answering the questions for council (p.2).

Staff time for the pilot program is expected to be "significant". Re: Table 4 (the decision matrix)

  1.  Approximately how much staff time is needed for the different options (including time needed to pursue funding opportunities such as grants)?
  2.  How much of an impact would it make to staff time needed if an ordinance change relaxed some of the use review requirements?
  3.  What are some examples of work we will be deciding not to pursue under these various options? In other words, what would staff be working on if not this?
Approximately how much time would be needed to create (p. 4) "a holistic, broad, and intentional vision for downtown Boulder that would include the consideration of a permanent 'shared street' condition on the West end or, possibly, other streets in the downtown area."

What concerns does our fire department have about the various options under consideration, if any?

Could the street closure and/or outdoor dining proposals go through the racial equity instrument in the coming months to see how emerging plans align with our racial equity goals?

Do we have any demographics for survey respondents? If so, were there differences in the pattern of responses based on income, race/ethnicity, age, ability, etc.?

Some of the written responses in the restaurant and "other business" categories were identical (Attachment B; e.g., p. 59-60).

  *   Were the same respondents responding in both categories?
  *   If so, were the same respondents counted more than once for the rating responses (e.g., those in Illustrations 1 and 2 in the memo)?
  *   How many of the responses to the survey are from unique respondents?
Attachment C (p. 79) shows the characteristics of business respondents (restaurant, retail, tech, other). What proportion of all West Pearl businesses are restaurant, retail, other? Basically, how representative was the distribution of respondents?

Thanks,
Nicole

Nicole Speer, Ph.D.
Boulder City Councilmember