[BoulderCouncilHotline] Updates on the deaths of Jessica Aldama and her daughter

Friend, Rachel FriendR at bouldercolorado.gov
Thu Dec 23 13:39:49 MST 2021

Dear Nuria, colleagues, and Hotline readers,

In light of recently released coroner’s reports, presumable conclusion of any criminal investigations, and revelation by a member of the press that Ms. Aldama received a tent/camping ticket a few weeks before her death: I am writing to request that the City Manager provide an additional update to the City Council regarding the deaths of Ms. Aldama and her daughter. I am hoping to better understand what triggered the baby’s death, which by association also appears to have led to Ms. Aldama’s death according to the coroner’s report; and am seeking a more thorough description of city staff encounters with Ms. Aldama (and any encampments she was associated with) in the months prior to her death. I understand that the county’s contacts with Ms. Aldama may have separate medical / privacy concerns, so want to clarify that I am only asking for further information regarding city points of contact.

I recognize that these are sensitive and difficult issues to discuss, especially publicly. If Ms. Aldama’s family would prefer that some of the requested information be withheld from the public, I would ask that the City Manager or City Attorney explain who qualifies as Ms. Aldama’s next of kin, the contours of information that has been requested to be withheld, and how requests for privacy in this type of situation dovetail with open records and government transparency considerations.

I would also request that CAC consider scheduling time for this discussion in early January, if possible.

Rachel Friend (she)

City of Boulder

Mayor Pro Tem

(720) 601-0163