[BoulderCouncilHotline] Item 3G Requested Changes and Amendments

Young, Mary YoungM at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Apr 20 13:16:01 MDT 2021

Dear Colleagues,

In reference to Item 3G, Resolution on Gun Violence, Junie and I would like to propose the following changes and amendments:

  1.  Change Finding D
From: On March 22, 2021, an assault weapon was used to murder 10 people in a mass shooting at the Table Mesa King Soopers.
To: On March 22, 2021, a lone individual with an assault weapon murdered 10 people in a mass shooting at the Table Mesa King Soopers.
  2.
Change last sentence of Finding F
From: We are called upon to prevent such suffering from reoccurring.
To: We call upon the State of Colorado and our Federal governments to seek effective bipartisan legislation to reduce gun violence and mass shootings in our communities.

  3.  Change the first sentence of Section 1 to: We strongly urge the city’s state and federal delegation to advocate for legislation that will preempt future mass shootings, national expansion of red flag laws and federal support of mental health programming.
  4.  In Section 2 change "the city's position" to "the City Council's position".
  5.
ADD: Section 4. Policy efforts work best and are most powerful when they are backed by collective intelligence in service of collaborative initiatives. We the City Council of the City of Boulder call on Cities and Towns across the Country, especially those directly affected by mass murders and daily gun deaths, to unite in collective and collaborative efforts to reduce deaths by gun violence.

Thank you.

We're all in this together...six feet apart.

In solidarity,

Mary Dolores Young

[cid:f0ae5538-4230-4914-94d6-5d3b606576de]

"All ethics ... rest upon a single premise: that the individual is a member of a community of interdependent parts..." - Aldo Leopold