[BoulderCouncilHotline] CBS video on Housing First in Boulder

Firnhaber, Kurt FirnhaberK at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Sep 21 17:36:16 MDT 2020

Dear City Council and HOTLINE Recipients,

I wanted to share a news story that aired nationwide this past Saturday on CBS This Morning. The story is about Boulder's "Housing First" approach and the positive impact its had on individuals experiencing homelessness. Back in February, Barry Petersen with CBS visited the Denver Metro Area to report on several programs that are working to effectively decrease homelessness. We are pleased that Boulder Shelter for the Homeless (BSH) and their Lee Hill, Permanent Supportive Housing (PSH) program were highlighted as an innovative, cost-effective, and successful program.  This same program and approach is now used widely throughout the community. BSH Executive Director, Greg Harms provides an overview of the program while Lee Hill resident Ray Vose, shares a look inside his life at Lee Hill, how his life has stabilized, and how he now looks forward to the future. Since 2017, the City of Boulder and its partners have secured over 200 Permanently Supportive Housing (PSH) vouchers to house qualified individuals, like Mr. Vose, and associated intensive case management services to ensure their housing success. PSH vouchers cover rent and supportive services such that connect individuals to medical care, mental health counseling, food security or help in overcoming an addiction.

As we near the 1,000th exit from homelessness since the strategy launch, we are remined of the real impacts that these programs have for individuals that need help becoming self-sufficient. In the Housing and Human Services Department, we believe that everyone deserves the opportunity to thrive. And Like Mr. Vose, we look forward to the future and the opportunity to continue to innovate and improve programs and services to better serve our community.  Please take a few minutes to watch and share this video:

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/colorado-group-battles-homelessness-with-housing-first-approach/#x<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbsnews.com%2Fvideo%2Fcolorado-group-battles-homelessness-with-housing-first-approach%2F%23x&data=02%7C01%7CFirnhaberK%40bouldercolorado.gov%7C8588730978d64e60b65c08d85e86a763%7C0a7f94bb40af4edcafad2c1af27bc0f3%7C0%7C0%7C637363279704632757&sdata=epb9zKgMbodxiI7z15sOX8HO5t13nEPo2of53o807bQ%3D&reserved=0>

This is just one example of our focus on housing.  We also have very effective programs run by Bridge House Ready to Work and our Emergency Family Assistance who keeps families housed.

Thanks,

Kurt
Kurt Firnhaber
Director of Housing and Human Services
[https://bouldercolorado.gov/links/fetch/41501]
O: # 303-441-4424
C: # 303-917-0914
FirnhaberK at bouldercolorado.gov<mailto:FirnhaberK at bouldercolorado.gov>
Department of Housing & Human Services
1300 Canyon Blvd  Boulder, CO 80302
Bouldercolorado.gov<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bouldercolorado.gov%2F&data=02%7C01%7CFirnhaberK%40bouldercolorado.gov%7C8588730978d64e60b65c08d85e86a763%7C0a7f94bb40af4edcafad2c1af27bc0f3%7C0%7C0%7C637363279704642713&sdata=OKNR%2FtLpBlWZM34LJpMGcD%2FxX97v3TfdaYz84PE%2Fm6E%3D&reserved=0>