[BoulderCouncilHotline] Severe weather next week

Firnhaber, Kurt FirnhaberK at bouldercolorado.gov
Fri Sep 4 17:30:05 MDT 2020

Dear City Council,

I am writing regarding some unusual weather that the City will be receiving next Tuesday and related impacts on individuals experiencing homelessness.  Next Tuesday and into the evening there is a forecast for a significant drop in temperatures as well precipitation of rain or snow.

Yesterday we were in communication with the Boulder Shelter for the Homeless to explore if and what steps may be necessary.  As you are aware, severe weather shelter does not open until the first of October.  However, with this unusual weather they were able to have approximately 30 additional beds available for Tuesday night.  While plans were identified, we were waiting until today to see if the forecast improved.  We have tracked this through the day and at this point the forecast seems to remain unchanged.  While it is very unusual to trigger the opening of severe weather shelter prior to October 1, BSH will be opening if weather conditions meet the existing weather triggers for Tuesday night.  There is a standard process for communication to individuals in the community experiencing homelessness, through our community partners, HOT and MHP.

I am appreciative of our partners at BSH and their ability to work with this unusual weather condition.

In community partnership,

Kurt

Kurt Firnhaber
Director of Housing and Human Services