[BoulderCouncilHotline] Re: KEEP THE HOMELESS SHELTER OPEN 10/26!!!

Firnhaber, Kurt FirnhaberK at bouldercolorado.gov
Fri Nov 13 08:00:31 MST 2020

Dear Verity,

I am responding to your questions related to various aspects of severe weather shelter services.  I have copied all nine city council members who may respond separately.  I am providing a staff response to your questions.

The shelter is located along the SKIP bus line. There is a free bus that picks people up Monday – Friday at 5pm at the corner of 11th and Walnut. A return bus ride is provided in the morning. This is a service that Boulder Shelter for the Homeless (BSH) contracted with RTD to provide. Without knowing the full circumstances, my guess is that the gentleman was leaving the shelter outside of that window. While the shelter does on occasion provide bus passes, they are reserved for people who are participating in year-round programs and need to get to jobs, mental health service appointments, or other needs.

Severe Weather Shelter (SWS) is communicated widely with an email that goes to many of the organizations who come in contact with people experiencing homelessness. There is also a hotline that one can call to see if SWS will be available for the night (720-663-9238). All clients staying at the shelter are informed each morning of the status of SWS for that day and evening. It is also worth noting that Homeless Solutions for Boulder County (HSBC) is in the process of providing phones to many of our unhoused community through several outreach and service organizations to help connect them with services. In addition, the information regarding SWS is updated on the city website<https://bouldercolorado.gov/homelessness/homelessness> and on the BSH website. The warming center that was opened at the Age Well West Center was an emergency shelter that was set up that day and is not expected to be open on other days. BSH has changed its daytime opening criteria to allow for more days where it will be open during critical weather conditions. There are no plans to open any shelters downtown.

If you have questions about the shelter operations, I would suggest reaching out to Greg Harms, the shelter’s director. I was so pleased to hear that you were able to raise funds to support the homeless in our community. I want to add that you might consider providing funding you collect to Harvest of Hope, Boulder Shelter for the Homeless, or one of the many organizations that help people experiencing homelessness; they can make each dollar go further.

Thanks for your concern and care for vulnerable individuals within our community,

Kurt

Kurt Firnhaber
Director of Housing and Human Services
[https://bouldercolorado.gov/links/fetch/41501]