[BoulderCouncilHotline] Information about commercial linkage fee collections

Weaver, Sam WeaverS at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Mar 2 16:33:02 MST 2020

Fellow Council Members and HOTLINE followers,

The Orlando Sentinel business section is doing a story on commercial linkage fees (Orlando is considering implementing them), and the reporter for the story contacted our Housing department to learn what revenues are being generated.  Our employees provided the answer, which I found very interesting, and thought I would share on HOTLINE for Council, staff, and the community's consideration.

[cid:image001.png at 01D5F0AF.166A83C0]

I followed up with two clarifying questions, which Kristin Hyser helpfully answered:

  1.  Q: Did the 2014 fees come mostly from the downtown projects Pearl Place and 13th and Walnut?

A: Four projects paid in 2014: 1600 Pearl, 1048 Pearl, 909 Walnut and 1301 Walnut

  1.  Q: Which projects contributed to the 2018 and 2019 amounts?

A: In 2018, 13 commercial developments paid resulting in approximately $427,000. The largest payment was made by Boulder County on 2020 13th Street (approx. $113K). In 2019, 11 commercial developments paid the fees totaling $3.5M. The largest contributors were Google ($1.3M), 30 Pearl ($1.4M), Spark Boulder ($400K), Boulder Community Health ($176K). All other developments paid less than $100,000.

Council passed the $30/sf linkage fee amount for office buildings in 2018 (amounts for other commercial building types are related), and there was an approximately 2-year full implementation phase-in period.

All the best,

Sam Weaver

[cid:image003.png at 01D5F0B0.3D54B6D0]<http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/>

weavers at bouldercolorado.gov