[BoulderCouncilHotline] Happy Martin Luther King Day!

Young, Mary YoungM at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Jan 20 08:10:14 MST 2020

Dear Colleagues and Community,

As so often happens, someone can express what I want to express, but does it eloquently and with example. Such is the case today as I read columnist Leonard Pitts. He wrote:

“The idea that diversity will work itself out without being nudged is a common conceit, but a mistaken one. You don’t create diversity by being a good person or being pure of purpose. You create diversity by creating diversity, by valuing and seeking it. Which requires you to acknowledge your biases and become intentional in rooting them out.”

This was the sentiment behind the suggestion to allow individuals with “close ties to Boulder” to serve on boards and commissions.

https://www.dailycamera.com/2020/01/19/opinion-leonard-pitts-jr-you-create-diversity-by-creating-diversity/

Thank you.

Mary Dolores Young
Member of City Council