[BoulderCouncilHotline] Study session tonight - Opportunity Zone scheduling

Weaver, Sam WeaverS at bouldercolorado.gov
Thu Oct 10 13:53:08 MDT 2019

Fellow Council Members and HOTLINE followers,

I will not be at the study session tonight due to personal reasons.  I would like to weigh in on the scheduling issues regarding the Opportunity Zone, Use Tables, and Community Benefits projects.

Regarding the definition of increased community benefit in order for additional development intensity in areas with a developed area plan (Appendix J), I believe that Council has made a lot of progress there, and I am hopeful we can finish the second reading for this project on October 15.

Regarding the potential demolition of current market-rate affordable housing to potentially be replaced with high-end housing (see Eastpoint demolition for luxury apartments at Parc Mocaic), I support an overlay zone in the residential zones within the OZ to prevent residential demolitions in higher-density zones.  The next Council could consider a broader housing preservation measure to build on this.

Regarding completing the Phase 1 use table updates, I would like to get this done on this Council.  I do believe, however, that for me to support such a measure to update the use tables and lift the OZ moratorium, that I would want to see any development permits in the OZ required to attest formally and legally whether they had financial backers in an OZ fund.  I would leave it to the next Council to pursue the economic analysis for whether they wanted increased levels of community benefit for those projects that were receiving additional tax credit benefits, and to develop enforcement provisions for dishonesty in regards to sources of funding.  With or without those provision in place, I think we could at least schedule the use tables hearings for this Council.

All the best,

Sam Weaver
Mayor Pro Tem
Boulder City Council