[BoulderCouncilHotline] Follow up to Oct. 1 meeting

Schwartz, Wendy SchwartzW at bouldercolorado.gov
Thu Nov 7 12:21:27 MST 2019

Dear Councilmembers,

This information is an update on council requests during the Oct. 1, 2019 agenda item on Syringe Exchange and Disposal. Carol Helwig of Boulder County Public Health presented at this meeting. The Works Syringe Exchange Program is operated by Boulder County Public Health.

One of Carol's slides demonstrated the increase in syringe exchange program participation countywide in recent years. Council requested a breakdown of this information by City of Boulder sites and other county sites. Please see the follow up information provided by Boulder County in the graph below.

 [cid:image002.png at 01D59565.DF5DCE40]

Council also requested that additional information be provided to members of the public about the program. Boulder County has updated its website to include a tab with information for the public: https://www.bouldercounty.org/families/disease/the-works-program/#syringe-litter. This includes information on the benefits of the program, safely disposing of syringes and a by-jurisdiction list of contacts to report syringe litter.

We have updated our website<https://bouldercolorado.gov/hhs/boulder-county-syringe-exchange-program> to help direct people to these resources. In addition, we have changed Inquire Boulder protocols so that members of the public can more clearly see how to report improperly discarded syringes, with those reports GIS tagged for future analysis, and routed to the appropriate department for response.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions on this matter.

Sincerely,

Wendy Schwartz
Human Services Policy Manager
MPP