[BoulderCouncilHotline] OSMP tax

Morzel, Lisa MorzelL at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Jun 11 12:50:16 MDT 2019

From: "Morzel, Lisa" <MorzelL at bouldercolorado.gov<mailto:MorzelL at bouldercolorado.gov>>
Date: June 11, 2019, 12:47:35 PM MDT
Subject: Fwd: OSMP tax

Hi Council,

While not the main focus of tonight's discussion of the OSMP master plan, I am re-sharing my email of May 13, 2019 asking council to consider placing a ballot measure on the 2019 that would  be for an open space tax.

"After reading the recent results of the OSMP poll with respect to responses supporting an Open Space tax that would reinstate the OSMP taxes that expired in 2018 and will expire in 2019 resulting in a 30% reduction in the proportion of city sales tax dedicated to OSMP. Of all respondents, 54%strongly supported and 38% supported (92% support) such a tax measure to reinstate all or some of this lost funding."

I raised this tax as a consideration for 2019 at our May 14, 2019 study session regarding possible 2019 tax measures.

I reiterate this request having completed reading the OSMP draft plan and needs.  Given staggering increases in visits to OSMP lands and growth along the entire Front Range, challenges faced with climate change, continued efforts at restoring our OSMP lands damaged by floods, impacts from large fires and the anticipation of more frequent fires, ecosystem health, and our collective desire to examine and improve soil health and potential for carbon sequestration, from my perspective, it is imperative we restore some funds to OSMP.

Thanks

Lisa

Lisa Morzel,

Member of Boulder City Council

303-815-6723

"We interact with one another as individuals responding to a complex haze of factors: professional responsibilities, personal likes and dislikes, ambition, jealousy, self-interest, and, in at least some instances, genuine altruism.  Living in the here and now, we are awash with sensations of the present, memories of the past, and expectations and fears for the future.  Our actions are not determined by any one cause; they are the fulfillment of who we are at that particular moment.  After that moment passes, we continue to evolve, to change, and our memories of that moment inevitably change with us as we live with the consequences of our past actions, consequences we were unaware of at the time." The Last Stand, Nathaniel Philbrick