[BoulderCouncilHotline] Service Animals at Bridge House and the Shelter

Firnhaber, Kurt FirnhaberK at bouldercolorado.gov
Wed Jun 5 16:14:43 MDT 2019

Dear council members and HOTLINE followers,

At last night's council meeting, a question was asked about admittance of service animals into the Path to Home Navigation Program (PTHN) operated by Bridge House and the Boulder Shelter for the Homeless (BSH).

Service animals are allowed in both PTHN and BSH. Emotional support animals and pets are not allowed at either facility. Several years ago, BSH allowed pets and support animals, but it led to serious issues surrounding the health and safety of the shelter patrons. Overall, BSH and PTHN report very few instances of people who are turned away because their animal is not a service animal.

Policies regarding the presence of animals at BSH and PTHN are determined by Boulder Shelter for the Homeless and Bridge House as independent non-profit entities responsible for the safety and welfare of individuals at their facilities.  Their policies are also required to be in-line with federal regulations around fair housing.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information.

Kurt

Kurt Firnhaber
Director of Housing and Human Services
[https://bouldercolorado.gov/links/fetch/41501]
O: # 303-441-4424
C: # 303-917-0914
FirnhaberK at bouldercolorado.gov<mailto:FirnhaberK at bouldercolorado.gov>

Department of Housing & Human Services
(Housing): 1300 Canyon Blvd  Boulder, CO 80302

(Human Services): 909 Arapahoe, Boulder, CO 80302
Bouldercolorado.gov<https://www.bouldercolorado.gov/>