[BoulderCouncilHotline] Fw: PLEASE REVIEW: The Hopper, follow-up on moratorium restrictions

Brockett, Aaron BrockettA at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Jan 14 21:30:23 MST 2019

Hello Hotline readers. Council received the below email earlier this evening from Kristin Lawrence, the CEO of The Hopper, an innovative non-profit that is working on opening an interactive STEAM experience for children and their parents in the City of Boulder. Unfortunately, they have been caught in the Opportunity Zone moratorium and can't move forward at this time. This is the case even though their project only involves the renovation of an existing building because their plans involve the removal of some existing floor area on the second floor of the structure, which is forbidden by the terms of the moratorium.

Council has on our agenda Tuesday night a "clean-up" of some details of the moratorium on our consent agenda. I would like to request that we add to that clean-up an exemption for projects that are renovations of existing buildings, as my understanding of the intention of those in favor of the moratorium was not to prohibit renovations from proceeding during the moratorium period. So I request that planning staff bring language for council's consideration to the meeting that would accomplish that.

I also propose that museums be exempted from the moratorium, as they seem to me to be a desirable use that should not be discouraged.

Thank you for your consideration,

Aaron Brockett

Council Member, City of Boulder

brocketta at bouldercolorado.gov