[BoulderCouncilHotline] Alpine Balsam

Nagle, Mirabai NagleM at bouldercolorado.gov
Wed Aug 28 17:15:55 MDT 2019

Dear Council,

As there is a long night ahead of you, I will make my comment as brief as possible.

Regarding vaping, I did send out an email on Monday.  In the meantime, I have spoken to Bob, and he will be presenting a few thoughts in addition to mine, that I can support if council so chooses.

For Alpine Balsam, I would like to see the Area Plan set aside for the time being as I do not feel there has been adequate community engagement. It seems to be causing confusions and concern for some of our resident. I feel we need to focus on the more pressing issue of the Site Plan.  If we do move forward with an Area Plan, I would like to see some form of land-marking that protects the Ideal Shopping Center area. I would also like to see the high limitations approved in the Area Plan set in stone where they cannot be changed in the future with community benefit or any site/use review.

I am not interested in continuing discussions with the county. There are too many moving parts and I believe a redevelopment of the land/buildings they already have on their ideal location at Broadway and Iris, would be the best option, though that is their own decision to make.

If there is a way to prevent deconstruction of the hospital and use it for apartments or office use similar to Deborah Yin’s proposal, I would be in favor of that.

I believe the City and many of the groups invested in this project are in a close range for the housing on this site. I like Deborah’s plan from last night as well as some of the elements of permeability from Paul Saporito’s idea. I think that we are all relatively close in numbers and can find some common ground.

I do not support 4 story buildings on 9th or the north side of Balsam with retail on the ground floor.  I would like to see no more than two story buildings on this side.

In general, I do not support any additional buildings on this site that are 55’.  What I do support are buildings that are beautiful like many European towns. I would be interested in going a little over 35’ in height if we could get pitched roofs that proved interest and beauty rather than the many ugly box like buildings that were in the packet from last night.

For the Pavilion renovations, that will be dictate by finances available and the parking needed.

Kind regards,
Mirabai Nagle