[BoulderCouncilHotline] to council, CM, and CA

Carlisle, Cynthia CarlisleC at bouldercolorado.gov
Sun Sep 9 16:46:57 MDT 2018

Hello Council and City Manager,

I have a few thoughts regarding our last meeting, Tuesday, September 4th.

Regarding process, if all nine council members aren't going to be present during a decision making discussion, and be present for the decision, then I suggest we postpone the item until all nine can be present.  The agenda item clearly stated, whether we vote or not, Mr. City Attorney, "A. Check-in with council for direction on whether to finalize a Joint Development Agreement related to the construction of a public parking garage project in partnership with The Hill Hotel Partners, LLC, etc., etc."  (Emphasis mine.)  I could be mistaken but I interpreted the words to mean what they said: we would or would not move forward to finalize a JDA. I don't have a problem with waiting for all members to be present, if we make that clear at the start and move the whole item over to another meeting. As it is, we had a long, LATE, drawn out discussion that took the meeting well past midnight. Afterwards, one council member said that it was good that we could talk and get what information we did, and I agree with that, but what it focuses on for me is how ill prepared the presentation was regarding providing answers to questions asked, and that rather than a decision making item, it should have been a study session. I'm disappointed that the city manager let it be brought forward-for a decision-- in that state.

Maybe it's not as clear to some council members, as it has been in the past, that this hotel/city venture is the panacea for Hill improvement. We might start with power washing the sidewalks.

Sincerely,
Cindy Carlisle
Council Member