[BoulderCouncilHotline] Letter to Colorado Congressional delegation requesting protection for the Special Counsel Investigation

Weaver, Sam WeaverS at bouldercolorado.gov
Thu Nov 8 14:05:53 MST 2018

Fellow Council Members and HOTLINE followers,

I followed up with staff this morning about the idea of a resolution by Council urging protection for the Mueller investigation into the 2016 presidential election.  Staff suggested a letter to the Colorado delegation instead, which I think is a good idea.  Carl Castillo drafted language, which I edited somewhat, and I will be bringing this up under Matters from City Council tonight at the end of our meeting.

I am suggesting that Council have Mayor Jones sign the attached letter on behalf of our Council and have it delivered to each recently elected and currently seated member of the Colorado Congressional delegation.  I look forward to discussing this with you tonight.

I know that HOTLINE does not necessarily include the attachments to all subscribers, so I am including the text of the letter below my signature.

All the best,

Sam Weaver
Member of Boulder City Council
weavers at bouldercolorado.gov<mailto:weavers at bouldercolorado.gov>
Phone: 303-416-6130

Dear Honorable Members of the Colorado Congressional Delegation:

On behalf of the Boulder City Council, I respectfully request that you act to protect the independence of Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into potential interference in the 2016 presidential elections and possible coordination between presidential campaigns and foreign governments. The timing of the firing of Attorney General Jeff Sessions and the decision to replace him with a person who publicly questioned the investigation, strongly suggests that there is the potential to interfere politically with the work of the Department of Justice. You have the capability to prevent any political tampering in order to preserve the functioning of a real independent investigation into potential election interference by foreign entities. Our democracy, and the faith of the public in our government, depend on an independent accounting of actions in the 2016 elections.

We urge you to pass S.2644 and HR 5476, “The Special Counsel Independence and Integrity Act,” bi-partisan legislation introduced in both chambers that would allow the special counsel to be fired only for good cause, require the reasons for termination be provided to the special counsel, and provide him ten days to appeal the dismissal to a federal court. Since passage of this legislation may be insufficient to address other efforts to interfere with the investigation – short of terminating the special counsel – we urge you to also consider additional means of exercising congressional oversight to protect the investigation.

Thank you for your consideration. I know we both share the view that threats to the integrity of our nation’s elections and to the independence of our justice system must be taken extremely seriously.

Sincerely,

Suzanne Jones
Mayor