[BoulderCouncilHotline] Re: ADU ordinance on consent agenda tonight

Morzel, Lisa MorzelL at bouldercolorado.gov
Thu Nov 8 12:57:00 MST 2018

Typos now corrected.

In rereading once again the ADU Ordinance for tonight, I now see where my concerns on occupancy have been already addressed in the ordinance ( p. 122, line 21) so that is good. I wonder, however, why the provision on p. 132, under 9-8-5 (occupancy of dwelling units), paragraph b, line 14, states “ The occupancy of an attached accessory dwelling unit, detached accessory dwelling unit, or limited accessory dwelling unit miss meet the requirement of subsection 9-6-3 (a), BRC 1981.”  This seems inconsistent with council intent so I would suggest the provision on line 14 to be deleted from the ordinance.

Regarding unit size measurement, I found address to this concern under "variances" that would be required to go before BOZA: p. 121, line 6, unusual physical conditions, section (A). Would an owner who wanted to build a straw bale detached accessory unit be required to go before BOZA to achieve 550 SF interior space?  Would that owner be required to pay a fee to go before BOZA for a variance to achieve 550 SF?  How much time would that take?

I would prefer specific language be written into this ordinance so that a owner who wants to build an energy efficient home using sustainable materials would be encouraged to do that and not be required to go through additional time, process, and money with a BOZA hearing/process.

Thanks.

Lisa