[BoulderCouncilHotline] The People’s Resolution

Young, Mary YoungM at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon May 21 10:28:00 MDT 2018

Colleagues and Community,
A majority fellow Coloradans, regardless of political party, support revamping our immigration system to be just, efficient and transparent.
In the summer of 2017, more people had claimed Sanctuary in Colorado than any other state. That fall, four of these Sanctuary seekers began to support one another across the miles.
After five months of work, study and consultations with lawyers, immigrant rights groups and faith communities, some simple, direct steps for action at the federal and state levels have been identified and are articulated in The People’s Resolution.
Please find the full text at http://www.peoplesresolution.org<http://www.peoplesresolution.org/>
Suggested steps include:
For our Colorado delegation to:
➢   Create a path for all Temporary Protected Status and DACA holders to legal permanent residency and beyond
➢   Maintain our commitment to human rights by protecting asylum seekers
➢   Restore paths to legal permanent residency for parents of U.S. citizen children by repealing IIRIRA
➢   Restore paths to citizenship by giving back to judges the discretion to consider personal character by repealing IIRIRA
➢   Create a transparent and timely path, fulfilling our promise to families, by eliminating quotas that mean decades of waiting for millions of parents and their children.
For our Colorado legislature and Governor to shield Coloradans from the most harmful impacts of our immigration policies and:
➢    Uphold our constitution and require Immigration and Customs Enforcement to show a judicial warrant in Colorado before receiving information about or detaining people
➢    Provide a path for all Coloradans to participate in stronger communities and ensure equal access to the justice system, meant to serve all Colorado residents, by creating a bright line between law enforcement and ICE, including between Immigration and Customs Enforcement and probation.
➢    Safeguard Coloradans against IIRIRA’s devastating double jeopardy and deportation impacts through public advocacy and pardons
We can add our names as individuals as well as an elected body. I write to ask you, my council colleagues, that we sign on as an elected body, Boulder City Council and that we consider this at the Tuesday, May 22 Special Meeting.
Thank you.

Mary Dolores Young

“We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.” ~Martin Luther King Jr.