[BoulderCouncilHotline] Re: CAC Summary for Monday, May 14

Morzel, Lisa MorzelL at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue May 15 11:04:11 MDT 2018

After reading the cac minutes from yesterday, I request CAC to revise our schedule given the length of the meeting (well over 10:30 pm for our business meetings and 9:00 pm for our study sessions). I will remind all we 1) do not make good decisions late in the evening; 2) at our retreat, we committed to ending our meetings at the aforementioned times, and 3) too many issues are on the study sessions.

Council needs to be able to discuss the issue at hand in our study sessions instead of just having the study session memo reread to council members by staff. While I mean no disrespect to staff, council members should have and do read their packet prior to meeting and be prepared to discuss among council and ask questions of staff. The current practice of 30-45 power point slides by staff leaves little to no time for council to discuss the issue amongst themselves. This has to change.

Having 30th and Colorado PLUS Human Relations welcoming community discussions AFTER a special city council meeting, all on the same night, is not acceptable.

Please revise future council meetings so that they end at 10:30pm (business) and 9:00 pm (study session) is what the council agreed to at our retreat. Let's keep that agreement.  CAC is slipping back to our old bad behaviors of exhausting the community, staff, and council members.

Thanks!

Lisa

Lisa Morzel,
Member of Boulder City Council

303-815-6723

"We interact with one another as individuals responding to a complex haze of factors: professional responsibilities, personal likes and dislikes, ambition, jealousy, self-interest, and, in at least some instances, genuine altruism.  Living in the here and now, we are awash with sensations of the present, memories of the past, and expectations and fears for the future. Our actions are not determined by any one cause; they are the fulfillment of who we are at that particular moment.  After that moment passes, we continue to evolve, to change, and our memories of that moment inevitably change with us as we live with the consequences of our past actions, consequences we were unaware of at the time." The Last Stand, Nathaniel Philbrick