[BoulderCouncilHotline] Re: Agroecology and the Center for Good Food Purchasing

Brautigam, Jane BrautigamJ at bouldercolorado.gov
Wed Jun 27 22:16:31 MDT 2018

Dear Sam,
Thanks for sending this information. The articles about agroecology and the Center for Good Food Purchasing, which promotes purchasing policies that value local economies, health, valued workforce, animal welfare, and environmental sustainability, are well aligned with several city goals. While the city is not involved with the Center nor does it have a specific food procurement policy, we are certainly moving in that direction in many ways.
BVSD is indeed deserving for its recognition. The award-winning BVSD program is based Chef Ann’s food services which serves tens of thousands of meals to children during the school year. In contrast, the city of Boulder's food purchases are dramatically smaller, decentralized and generally fall into two categories:
•      Catering for department, citywide or city council meetings, often coordinated by various administrative personnel. these purchases are declining due to budgetary limitations.

•      Contracting with a variety of vendors to manage vending machines in city facilities. Some of these machines, such as the one in the Municipal Building and in Parks and Recreation facilities, were specifically chosen because they offer “healthier” choices.

While these food purchases remain small and decentralized, the city has nonetheless taken incremental steps toward meeting many of the goals identified by the Center. For example, in 2015 the city issued “Healthy Food and Beverages for Employee Meetings & Events<https://work-static.bouldercolorado.gov/docs/Healthy_Food_and_Beverages_for_Employee_Meetings_Handout-1-201603291555.pdf>” guidelines to all employees to encourage healthy options to be made available when food and beverages are provided to employees within city facilities, especially during the occasions when city funds are used to fund those purchases. The city also circulated a list of vending machine operators who prioritized healthy snacks and encouraged each facility manager to consider using them at their site. Around this same time, council also began a six-month pilot program to choose vendors for council meals that sourced most of their meals locally. Although that pilot has ended, the City Clerk’s office continues to rely on the same list of caterers used during the pilot. This is consistent with the city’s efforts to encourage local food production and consumption<https://bouldercolorado.gov/policy-advisor/local-foods>. More recently, the city’s Environmental Advisory Board adopted an unwritten policy to have vegetarian meals only and suggested that other city boards do the same. Finally, the city’s Climate + Sustainability Division is working to update a city “Sustainability Purchasing Policy” for all departments. In its current form, the purchasing policy does not include food or other guidelines related to purchases for meetings, but its latest iteration (in draft form, expected to be finalized this year) will include guidelines for zero waste catering, recommendations for no bottled water use and healthy food choices.

I hope this answers your questions, Sam. Please let me know if you have any further questions on this matter.

Jane

Jane S. Brautigam

City Manager

ICMA - CM

[cid:a45fcadc-e71e-4a74-b818-370020389afa]

O: 303-441-3090

brautigamj at bouldercolorado.gov<mailto:brautigamj at bouldercolorado.gov>

City Manager’s Office

1777 Broadway