[BoulderCouncilHotline] Suggestions for Municipal Officials

Young, Mary YoungM at bouldercolorado.gov
Fri Jun 22 12:26:52 MDT 2018

Hello Colleagues,

In playing catch up, I came upon this Power Point which was forwarded to us by Mark Ruzzin with the Commissioner's Office at Boulder County. He is the staff person in charge of the Consortium of Cities.

I think it is a good reminder as well as food for thought as we head into our recess. I highly recommend at least a glance. Some highlights:

Recognize:

  *   You are part of a collective decision-making body.
  *   Each individual member has a fraction of the power of the body, but that power can’t be exercised alone.
  *   So, success in your position can’t happen without collaboration and consensus-building: Think and act as “We” not “I”.

Honor Transparency

  *   Transparency is a basic expectation of the citizens for meetings of its local elected and appointed bodies.
  *   A lack of transparency or a perception of inadequate or ineffective opportunities for public participation can cause massive trust and credibility issues.
  *   Therefore,  honor transparency, excepting only legitimately confidential matters.

Be circumspect in all forms of communications as public officials, whether meetings, e-mails, social media, texts or otherwise.

I hope you all enjoy your recess!

Kindly,

Mary Dolores Young

"All ethics . . . rest upon a single premise: that the individual is a member of a community of interdependent parts . . ." - Aldo Leopold