[BoulderCouncilHotline] FW: Re: Housing Advisory Board

Sin, Carol SinC at bouldercolorado.gov
Thu Jan 25 08:58:32 MST 2018

Dear Council colleagues and Hotline followers:

I'm at a trade show this week, and won't be attending Jan. 23's study session. I would like to offer my thoughts on the new housing advisory board:
1. I favor a seven or nine member board, in order to get a greater diversity of opinions.
2. We learned at a Council meeting last month that the City already has three or four housing advisory committees consisting of housing developers, real estate experts, and financial experts. That important perspective seems well represented. Thus I would like this new board to mainly consist of lay persons, that is, community members at large. It is important that our advisory boards also benefit from the perspectives and ideas of everyday citizens. Boulder has smart, talented residents. It's a resource we shouldn't overlook.
3. One of the things I heard most consistently on the campaign trail is that neighborhoods feel they receive the impacts of housing decisions and policies, without any real voice in the decisions. It's not to say neighborhoods won't change; but they should have an active role in shaping the change. This new board represents an opportunity for them to have actual seats at the table. I support this.
I hope the study session is valuable and productive.

Kind regards,

Mirabai Nagle