[BoulderCouncilHotline] FW: Wonderland Lake rec project

Carlisle, Cynthia CarlisleC at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Dec 10 12:17:11 MST 2018

Dear Jane,
Sunday, December 2d Daily Camera carried a letter concerned about some intense development activity proposed on Open Space land at Wonderland Lake, where, "...for the first time in decades there is a true diversity of birdlife: flocks of widgeons, scaups, and redheads are mingling with the mallards, geese and grebes..." and the writers describe the numbers of diverse people enjoying the "beauty and serenity" of the trail.

Since that letter to the editor-the first I'd heard of the proposed activities-- residents from around the city have contacted me asking about what's happening and why. The letter writers asked about a 50 foot wide platform with a 60-foot long pier and asked, "What could be more invasive to this natural habitat than a permanent structure with people regularly trafficking it?"  The writers list the additional proposals and comment that, "All of these proposals spell increased human footprints on what Mother Nature has created for us to steward, not encroach upon."

I'm concerned not only about what's happening at Wonderland Lake, but whether OSMP is moving in the direction of putting up more facilities on Open Space. Is this a new policy direction OSMP is moving in without public consensus or council input?
I'd appreciate information on Wonderland Lake and the wider question of more facilities on Open Space.
Thank you,
Cindy Carlisle
councilmember