[BoulderCouncilHotline] Comment in Opposition to Proposed "Public Charge" Rule Change

Carr, Thomas CarrT at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Dec 3 13:56:47 MST 2018

New York City and Chicago are drafting a comment for local governments to sign on to related to the proposed "public charge" rule change. The public charge rule allows the federal government to deny admission to individuals likely to be dependent on the government for subsistence.  The Department of Homeland Security has proposed adding anyone who would rely upon supplemental aid programs such as Medicaid, Food Stamps or housing assistance such as Section 8.  The rule would change the standard from those who would be "primarily dependent" on government support to anyone who receives "one or more public benefits."

The draft comment is focused on legal issues.  I believe that joining this comment is consistent with the Council's legislative agenda.  I therefore plan to recommend to the Jane that the city sign on.  If you have any concerns, please let me know.   The deadline for this decision is December 7.

Tom