[BoulderCouncilHotline] August 14 Study Session/East Bookend

Yates, Bob YatesB at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Aug 14 08:25:26 MDT 2018

Council Colleagues:

Since I will miss this evening's study session on the Civic Area East Bookend, set forth below are preferences and questions I would have offered.

Best,

Bob

Preferences: My preferred uses of the East Bookend are, in descending order of priority:

     *   Preserve historic structures and, when appropriate, adapt their uses to current needs.
     *   Create opportunities for the Farmers Market and BMoCA to sustain themselves and grow.
     *   Bring together the east and west halves of the Bookend by permanently closing to automobile traffic and parking 13th Street between Arapahoe and Canyon, creating a pedestrian mall similar to Pearl Street. If desired by the Farmers Market, the north end of this pedestrian mall could be covered.
     *   Create a year-round market hall, preferably under the management of the Farmers Market, and preferably initially located in the Atrium Building (with expansion opportunities preserved).
     *   Preserve options to create transportation connections between Downtown and the new CU Conference Center, six blocks south at 13th & Grandview. For example, if an aerial gondola is one of the transportation options, a preferred gondola route may be over 13th Street, with stops at the East Bookend and Pearl Street.
     *   I am NOT in favor of relocating any city municipal offices or functions to the East Bookend. The East Bookend should be preserved for cultural and community amenities. City administrative functions should be conducted in the existing Municipal Building and in the Alpine-Balsam (former hospital site) that the city is currently planning.

Questions:

  1.  I understand from the staff memo that, if some or all of the 200 existing CAGID parking spaces in the East Bookend are affected by new construction there, staff desires that the spaces be replaced on a one-for-one basis. Must those replacement parking spaces be on the exact block from which they are removed, or can they be created anywhere in CAGID? What is the average vacancy rate in the parking garage across the street to the north of the East Bookend?
  2.  What is the annual revenue earned at parking meters on 13th Street between Arapahoe and Canyon during days not occupied by the Farmers Market? If this block was pedestrianized and parking eliminated, what is staff's estimate of how much of this revenue would be permanently lost, versus displaced to other nearby parking meters?