[BoulderCouncilHotline] Re: Ordinance 8245

Carr, Thomas CarrT at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Apr 30 16:24:36 MDT 2018

As you requested.

  1.  I am not aware of any competitive shooting clubs in Boulder.  That is, clubs that have a shooting range.  The Boulder Rifle Club is north of the city on unincorporated Boulder County.   Assault weapons as defined in the proposed ordinance are used at the Boulder Rifle Club.
  2.  I am attaching an abstract of a study published in the Journal of Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology.  The results showed that military members were more prone to lifetime arrests and overall substance abuse.  The study found that these results were driven largely by a subgroup of individuals who were discharged from the military early in their careers.   I am also attaching a study from the U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics entitled Veterans in Prison and Jail, 2011-2012.  According to this report the incarceration rate for veterans is lower than that for non-veterans, although a greater percentage of veterans than nonveterans were sentenced for violent offenses.