[BoulderCouncilHotline] 2-d fluid flow model

Morzel, Lisa MorzelL at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Oct 10 15:32:16 MDT 2017

Sorry for so many messages but the document is attached this time.

Dear Colleagues,

I have sent two documents related to our discussion tonight<x-apple-data-detectors://0> on hogan-pancost. Below I've attached one documents: 1) a figure from a publication I wrote in 2005 which uses a 2-dimensional fluid flow model to examine fluid flow under three different conditions. The second email contains a second document which is a PDF of the paper in which the figure was published. This is not necessary reading but only provided as a reference for the figure.

The figure and model were created to better understand the empirical observation that the distribution of most hydrothermal vent site locations inside the Yellowstone caldera are controlled by the post-caldera rhyolitic lava flows which have a very low permeability (fig 10 E).  Fluids from the subsurface rise and are horizontally deflected below the lava flow and emerge at the edges of the fully cooled lava flows at elevated fluid flow rates.   While hogan-pancost property is not in yellowstone, parallels exists between the two environments, namely placing structures with no-to-low permeability in saturated environments.  In the hogan-pancost situation, no basements are needed to affect the fluid flow on the property. The act of placing impermeable structures the flood plain will do this.

Heidi or Lynnette, would you please have the 2-d fluid flow model image ready to display fortonight<x-apple-data-detectors://1> when I'd like to discuss and ask questions