[BoulderCouncilHotline] Re: 2-d fluid flow model

Morzel, Lisa MorzelL at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Oct 10 15:22:38 MDT 2017

Dear Colleagues,

I have sent two documents related to our discussion tonight on hogan-pancost. Below I've attached one documents: 1) a figure from a publication I wrote in 2005 which uses a 2-dimensional fluid flow model to examine fluid flow under three different conditions. The second email contains a second document which is a PDF of the paper in which the figure was published. This is not necessary reading but only provided as a reference for the figure.

The figure and model were created to better understand the empirical observation that the distribution of most hydrothermal vent site locations inside the Yellowstone caldera are controlled by the post-caldera rhyolitic lava flows which have a very low permeability (fig 10 E).  Fluids from the subsurface rise and are horizontally deflected below the lava flow and emerge at the edges of the fully cooled lava flows at elevated fluid flow rates.   While hogan-pancost property is not in yellowstone, parallels exists between the two environments, namely placing structures with no-to-low permeability in saturated environments.  In the hogan-pancost situation, no basements are needed to affect the fluid flow on the property. The act of placing impermeable structures the flood plain will do this.

Heidi or Lynnette, would you please have the 2-d fluid flow model image ready to display for tonight when I'd like to discuss and ask questions

"We interact with one another as individuals responding to a complex haze of factors: professional responsibilities, personal likes and dislikes, ambition, jealousy, self-interest, and, in at least some instances, genuine altruism.  Living in the here and now, we are awash with sensations of the present, memories of the past, and expectations and fears for the future. Our actions are not determined by any one cause; they are the fulfillment of who we are at that particular moment.  After that moment passes, we continue to evolve, to change, and our memories of that moment inevitably change with us as we live with the consequences of our past actions, consequences we were unaware of at the time." The Last Stand, Nathaniel Philbrick