[BoulderCouncilHotline] National League of Cities

Yates, Bob YatesB at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Nov 21 11:28:26 MST 2017

Council Colleagues:

Over the past year, I have had the privilege of being one of our two representatives to the National League of Cities, the nationwide organization that represents the interests of 19,000 U.S. cities and towns, small and large. Over the last several years, Matt Appelbaum has ensured that Boulder's place on NLC has been prominent and impactful, serving as chair of the NLC's Energy, Environment, and Natural Resources committee and, most recently, representing Colorado on NLC's national board.

Matt has done a great job of helping me to become involved with NLC over the past year, getting me appointed to key committees and introducing me to the right people. But, with Matt's retirement, we are losing one of our voices in that national organization. While I am happy to continue to serve as one of our NLC representatives, if that is Council's wish, I think that it is important that we have at least two delegates (many cities have three or more).

Although we typically agree council assignments in December or January, there is some time sensitivity to selecting our NLC representatives now, because the deadline for applying for appointments to key NLC committees is December 1. Let's discuss this briefly tonight. And if you have any questions about NLC or what service there entails, please contact Matt or me.

Best,

Bob