[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Re: BVCP policy 6.21

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Fri May 26 08:13:42 MDT 2017

Sender: Morzel, Lisa

Dear colleagues and planning board members

Earlier today I sent comments about the municipal airport policy in the bvcp.

To ensure the airport meets the needs of the community, housing on part of the current 138-acre site will be studied and considered.

I'd like this to be seriously considered for a feasibility study for the following reasons:

1. The 138-acre airport is in area 1 and owned by the city (
2.  The airport has less than 200 users, most of which is for recreational purposes.
3. The municipal airport is responsible for about 0.6% of Boulder’s economic output.
3.  I think we need to consider our priorities and recognize housing is at the top.
4.  using a significant portion of this city-owned land for housing while leaving enough land for emergency services, helicopters, etc should be studied for feasibility.
5. More functional airports are nearby and include Vance Brand in Longmont and JeffCo's Rocky Mtn Airport.

In our search for affordable housing sites, perhaps this option deserves further research.

Thanks for considering.

Lisa

Lisa Morzel
Member, Boulder City Council