[BoulderCouncilHotline] Energy Future Thoughts & Scheduling Request

Jones, Suzanne JonesS at bouldercolorado.gov
Sun Dec 3 11:03:27 MST 2017

Dear Colleagues –

A few thoughts in follow-up to our study session last week on Boulder’s Energy Future.

  *   First off, I thought it was a timely and much-needed session to focus on the breadth of our energy activities as well as our municipalization workplan, and I am very supportive of the renewed effort being made towards more public inclusion, transparency and engagement. I look forward to seeing the details of the outreach plan for re-upping our public working groups to better achieve our community power goals.

  *   I thought it was useful to have two significant partners of the City – Via and CU – join us for the session, and I look forward to hearing more details on both projects as they unfold as part of periodic updates. I think these partnerships are absolutely essential to, and also exemplary o,f Boulder’s collaborative approach to our energy future. Future sessions might feature the Chamber and/or companies with whom we are partnering, as I know there is a lot of interest in all sectors of the community to be a part of crafting and implementing climate and clean energy solutions.

  *   Finally, one topic we neglected to cover (and I forgot to raise given the full agenda), was Boulder’s current and future role in helping further the national climate/energy conversation. Specifically, it would be useful to hear updates on our engagement in defending federal policies such as the Clean Power Plan, as well as thoughts on other strategic efforts we should consider. To that end, I would also like CAC to schedule, for when Tom is ready, an update/decision on whether to join litigation against the major oil & gas companies for damages due to climate impacts (for which the previous Council gave a nod to explore earlier this fall).

Thanks,
Zan
Suzanne Jones
Mayor, City of Boulder