[bouldercouncilhotline] FW: Hotline- additional information on SVP's

cmosupport cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Thu Aug 31 08:49:35 MDT 2017

From: Testa, Greg
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 4:41 PM
To: HOTLINE <HOTLINE at bouldercolorado.gov>
Subject: Hotline- additional information on SVP's

Dear Council Members,

In reflecting on our conversation from last night and in following up on specific topics discussed, I wanted to provide additional clarifying information.

As you are aware, there are currently four Sexually Violent Predators (SVP's) registered with the Boulder Police Department as residing in Boulder.  One of these individuals, Christopher Lawyer, is on parole and is actively managed by the Colorado Department of Corrections, Division of Adult Parole. Subsequently, he has restrictions placed on him through the State of Colorado, including having his movement monitored through a GPS device.  The remaining three SVP's are not on probation or parole and do not have any restrictions on their movement or housing and do not have GPS monitoring.  The police department does not have the constitutional ability to limit their activities. We have confirmed that none of the four SVP's are currently employed.

A comment made last night from a resident mentioned that a SVP had been seen in a pool or hot tub at the North Boulder Recreation Center.  This occurred in May of this year and the information was reported to the police department a day after a resident believed they observed a SVP at the Rec Center.  The information provided was that the person was someone other than Mr. Lawyer.  The police department was unable to confirm this information, coupled with the fact that the other three SVP's do not have restrictions and are not GPS monitored.

New information that has been provided to us since last night's council meeting is that Rodney Jobe, who was previously residing in an apartment in Boulder, has been accepted into the Summer Bed Program at the Boulder Shelter.  Mr. Jobe has fulfilled his legal requirement to notify the police department of his change in residency address within five days of his move.  The police department will be notifying the community of Mr. Jobe's residency status change today.

Lastly, I want to provide additional information regarding the level of communication between the police department and other law enforcement entities, such as the DA's Office, Probation and Parole, the Sex Offender Management Board and the Boulder Shelter.  We are in regular contact with regards to sex offenders and SVP's, and share information and assist on investigations and in checking on the status of an offender or their whereabouts. The Division of Parole has a 24 hour monitoring center that receives real time alerts when a GPS is in an exclusionary zone or malfunctioning.  As needed, Parole contacts the police department Dispatch center when they need assistance in locating an offender or in checking on a GPS alert.

I look forward to future conversations and in working collaboratively to develop effective and stringent means to monitor offenders and enhance communication to keep our community safe.

Sincerely, Greg

Greg Testa
Chief of Police
[Police_lockup_COBLogo]