[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Articles regarding Inclusionary Housing

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Wed Apr 26 16:59:33 MDT 2017

Sender: Burton, Jan

Before we move forward with Inclusionary Housing policy for Middle-income housing strategy, we should all read the following articles (and the subject study).

>From the first article, “One of the big questions about inclusionary zoning is whether the added costs imposed on developers increase the price and depress the supply of market provided housing, thereby offsetting the (small) gains from affordable units.”

http://cityobservatory.org/the-0-1-percent-solution-inclusionary-zonings-fatal-scale-problem/

The source material quoted in this article is this study:
https://www.huduser.gov/portal/periodicals/cityscpe/vol19num1/ch11.pdf

Interesting quote from that publication: “One of the reasons why IZ and related policies have become popular is that they shift the cost burden for developing affordable housing onto private developers (and through them, to market-rate renters and homeowners or to land owners). That is, local governments and existing community residents face no direct fiscal costs to produce affordable units.” Their “Conclusion and Policy recommendations” section is eye-opening.

Also found on this site is the following interesting article. The governor of California making some big statements about the cost of affordable housing. Again, another big decision coming our way

http://cityobservatory.org/the-high-high-price-of-affordable-housing/

Jan Burton
Member of City Council