[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Fwd: Boulder Chamber Input - Sugar Sweetened Beverage Tax

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Apr 4 14:59:24 MDT 2017

Sender: Young, Mary

Colleagues, I forwarded the Chamber's input to Summer Laws at Boulder County Public Health. Her response below.

Mary Dolores Young

Hi Mary,

Here are my initial thoughts based upon the research literature, what we have heard from Philly, Chicago, San Francisco, and what we are learning from national organizations working in this area:

A.      Opening specific items up for exemption is not only challenging at the onset of the tax, but especially challenging throughout the process.  However, Philly<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/nKZYBGfRd0ahE?domain=beta.phila.gov> has created a request for exemption process and had a committee of public health, revenue, and city project management staff review each exemption request.  It should be noted they have not exempted any of the items listed below in bullets 1-4.

B.      It would be ideal to maintain as much consistency as possible city to city for those retailers that are located in multiple sites and to administer the tax. Especially as the tax in each jurisdiction has also been identified to improve health, sticking to definitions of beverages per health recommendations is preferred.

C.   Per TABOR, the items taxed must all meet a specific, single definition.   That definition is beverages with 5 or more grams of sugar per serving, with the specific exemptions laid out on the ballot such as:
-products containing alcohol (already taxed)
-medically necessary products
-products containing milk or milk substitutes
-baby formula
-sweeteners sold separately at the grocery store for the consumer (e.g. bags of sugar, etc.)

I am uncertain of the legal process for the City to allow additional exemptions outside of those listed in the ordinance and on the ballot.

D.      Many of the products listed by the Chamber are products that are consumed by high income earners.  There are no nutritional differences between beverages if they contain the same amount of sugars as other beverages more commonly consumed by people with lower incomes. This tax could impact those with lower incomes more than higher incomes if the products listed here are exempted.

In my opinion, the City should not be put in the position of stepping outside of the sugary beverage definition to exempt specific drinks per business and corporate interests.

Per bullet 1- Items that are taxed for athletic purposes
  This would include Gatorade, Powerade, and many of the sugary drinks that are now directly targeted at youth and children unnecessarily. http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2011/05/31/136722667/pediatricians-warn-against-energy-and-sports-drinks-for-kids<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/1dYJB3fVp7Wul?domain=npr.org>

Per bullet 2- Alcoholic mixers, etc. – they clearly meet the definition of a sugar sweetened beverage.  In addition, bars and restaurants could also argue that Coke, Pepsi, and other products used to make alcoholic drinks should be exempt.  How would the City manage this exemption?

Per bullet 3- “Healthy beverages”   These beverages may be self-defined as “healthy”; however, how would the City define “healthy”.  What academic literature points to the health benefits of these products over other products?

Per bullet 4- Again, there is no health or political reason to exempt these products. They are taxed in other localities and most specifically are items consumed by people with higher incomes.

Bullet 5 is unclear to me.  This may be an areas of exemption of there is a second line of distribution outside of the City of Boulder before the retailer.  I am happy to reach out to the City of Philadelphia on this one as they have three months of implementation under their belt and we have found their staffing and infrastructure to be robust in implementing the tax.

Thanks for reaching out.
Summer

Summer Laws, MPH
Health Systems and Policy Planner