[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Linkage fees

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Wed Sep 21 09:30:04 MDT 2016

Sender: Burton, Jan

Attached are two articles on Denver Council’s actions around affordable housing. As Aaron said last night, they installed a small linkage fee (about 1/5 of our current linkage fee) and added a property tax. While I wouldn’t advocate a property tax, it’s worth noting the actions our sister communities are taking.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/09/19/denver-affordable-housing-fund/
http://www.denverpost.com/2016/09/20/denver-affordable-housing-rino/

It would be worth getting the input of our new Urban Planning leader, who has just arrived from Austin, Texas. Is there anything we can learn from him?

Chris, could you please talk to Joni Marsh at the City of Longmont about their methodology for waiving fees and expediting project reviews to encourage affordable housing?

I would also request that Kurt and team bring to the November meeting alternative actions that could potentially make a bigger impact on encouraging affordable housing, like zoning and land use changes, incentives, etc.

Chris and team, thanks for all your hard work on this difficult problem!

Jan Burton
Member of City Council