[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Air flight patterns and disturbance over south Boulder

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Sep 20 14:17:13 MDT 2016

Sender: Morzel, Lisa

Council and staff

I received this email Sunday and ask staff to respond with what options we may have in addressing this issue. This is not the first email we've received about flight patterns now over south Boulder. In years past when the city has had this same issue, it has been resolved satisfactorily through working with DIA and FAA. I'm hoping we can resolve this soon.

Thanks much. See below for email:

I don't know where to turn regarding my daily concern about this issue - noise and environmental pollution as it relates to flights coming from and into DIA.
Within the last few months we have noticed a considerable increase in jet noise over our home and Boulder in general.  Not that long ago (6 months ago), I would look up and see jet streams but rarely hear the noise.  Now I never see jet streams (maybe because the planes are so low?).  I am not sure what atmospheric conditions create a jet stream? We can see the jets clearly and roughly tell how big they are - this was never before possible.

Driving into Boulder is still beautiful but also sad for us.  The concentrated haze from pollution is so evident.  I have to think that the plane emissions affects Boulder air quality too somehow?

So - our biggest concern, and that of our neighbors in South Boulder - is the noise pollution.  There is no possible way to sit outside without hearing on average 10 planes going overhead within an hour time frame.  This just never happened 6 months ago.  As soon as one is out of earshot another one comes in.  At night you can see the bright plane lights leaving DIA and ascending and they have a flight path over Boulder.  So few go south over Golden or somewhere in between.  Our home is high enough where we can see the trajectory.  I have to believe that low flights combined with mountains is also not a good combination for additional noise pollution?

I have contacted Denver Approach and talked with a man named Todd Whitman - 303-342-1590<tel:303-342-1590> - I told him about my concern.  He said that planes have to fly at 10,000 feet or higher over Boulder.   There are more planes in the sky and Todd said that as long as there is demand and air space that more planes will go up into our skies.

I am aware that other people in other communities share the same concern. It appears that by changing the way flights take off and land that there is a major savings in fuel.  A more gradual (lower) ascent and descent saves on cost to the airline industry.
 Check this out:
http://kazu.org/post/flight-noise-still-plagues-santa-cruz-mountains-faa-responds#stream/0

I don't know where to turn.
I would write an article to the editor but where does that get us?
Should I explain my position at a City Council meeting?
Drones will pose a possibly even great noise pollution concern - another topic but same category.

Thank you Lisa - I would appreciate your response on this issue and any suggestions you might have.

I know change is inevitable but sitting quietly and watching and hearing this change makes me want to speak out.

Lisa

Lisa Morzel
Boulder City Council Member

303-815-6723 c