[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Janitorial staff

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Sep 13 17:43:17 MDT 2016

Sender: Morzel, Lisa

Colleagues

In packet pg 8 of our materials tonight, the second bullet says "re-negotiate contracts w vendors who provide janitorial ....

I thought when we last discussed living wage, most on council said we wanted to bring janitorial staff into the city as employees. It is not a need that will ever go away. So why is the phrase "re-negotiate contracts w vendors who provide janitorial....", even an option? As I raised in our living wage discussion, the city employed janitorial staff as we do other staff until 2002 or 2003.  Other staff members not only realize a living wage but also receive other very important benefits such as health insurance, sick leave etc.

While I cannot be there tonight, I feel strongly about this and ask why are we proposing to treat janitorial staff as second class workers when in fact their job is critical to maintaining our buildings and facilities. How would our other staff like to come to work without the benefits of the services provided by our janitorial staff?

I will raise this again when the budget returns to council for approval.

Thanks

Lisa

Lisa Morzel
Boulder City Council Member