[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Armory Prairie dog relocation

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Oct 3 09:20:35 MDT 2016

Sender: Morzel, Lisa

Council

Beliw is an email I've received today from individuals trying to ensure a successful relocation of the prairie dogs on the Armory site. This is very similar to the numerous emails we've received, many from individuals who have years of experience and knowledge of relocation. What appears to be occurring does not seem to go in the direction council directed staff to take when we discussed this several weeks ago and clearly stated we wanted the prairie dogs relocated successfully to the southern grass lands.

"Sad story. City not meeting any of our requests in recent letter to council. City providing 5 nest tubes & shallow existing burrows that will only accommodate 70-80 of the 130+ Armory p-dogs. City & Roe NOT using any of the criteria that we/Prairie Dog Coalition provided/discussed w staff on meetings/phone calls/emails. Bruce not allowing sudsing for stragglers, just lethal control. Bruce/Roe not allowing any observers/volunteers @ Armory. City not allowing any members of the public on release site even after several of us became HSUS vetted volunteers & are willing to sign liability wavers. City staff is full of apathy re p-dogs & is not interested in survival of Armory colony (except for trying unsuccessfully to appease public outcry). City also not too interested in outcome of relocation of the 250 p-dogs from city land to So Grasslands as city is contracting w Smith Environmental (similar to Roe) to do that relocation this fall & in 2017 but with an unprepared release site & no nest boxes.... only the outdated & proven ineffective & inhumane augured holes & existing very shallow & mostly unusable burrows. City's interest in p-dog conservation seems nil both for these 2016 colonies & for the 'big picture.' Most frustrating & sad (& so unnecessary) story. Why staff can't do the right thing is beyond the comprehension of all of us who have put our hearts & souls into this project. Kelly Roe starts work on relocation tomorrow.
>From my understanding the city should (on release site) be installing the 2 remaining nest tubes they already have from Lindsey & auguring (to deepen) the many shallow 2-3 foot burrows & doing some additional mowing so p-dogs can see predators etc."

As a council member, I am left wondering why the city is not more interested in a full and successful relocation and seems to be okay with euthanizing 40-60 prairie dogs at the armory site. We clearly have the acreage to relocate all the prairie dogs from the Armory and starting at a better time next year relocate dogs from our city sites. Why is there so much resistance to do the right thing in achieving a successful relocation.

I'd appreciate a full explanation from staff in response to this.

Thank you.