[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Very clear findings of National Academy of Sciences the inform resiliency work

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Mon Mar 14 07:25:10 MDT 2016

Sender: Weaver, Sam

Fellow Council members and HOTLINE followers,

The links below present new findings by the National Academy of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine regarding rigorous methods for attributing extreme weather events to climate change.  In the New York Times article is an overview, giving examples of events that are and are not made more likely or extreme due to the accumulation of greenhouse gases in our atmosphere.  I believe that we will see the insurance industry incorporating these findings into coverage rates in the near future.  We should incorporate these findings into our planning for resiliency and budget as our scientific understanding of coming weather changes improve.

I would further suggest that our employees who focus on resiliency and mitigation download the full report to improve our understanding and capacity around attribution of changes in our climate to changes in atmospheric chemistry.  The goal for me is to better keep tabs on the changing climate and how the City can help our residents prepare for local impacts.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/11/opinion/what-weather-is-the-fault-of-climate-change.html

http://www.nap.edu/catalog/21852/attribution-of-extreme-weather-events-in-the-context-of-climate-change

All the best,

Sam Weaver