[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: Analyzing the wage gap

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Jan 19 09:40:32 MST 2016

Sender: Young, Mary

Dear Colleagues, Jane and Karen,

In their letter to Council, the Human Relations Commission asked that we add "analyzing the city's gender wage gap" to our work plan. In addition they quoted The Status of Women in the States report stating that the wage gap costs Colorado's economy $9 billion /year and that women make $0.80 for every dollar made by a man in the same job.

It has been nearly 53 years since President Kennedy signed the Equal Pay Act. We can take steps to ensure equal pay within our city staff.

I would like us to consider adding this item to the work plan at our upcoming retreat. The link is to a timely New York Times article on the topic. Please take the time to read it. There are many suggestions as to how to close the gap without increasing costs to the city.

Thank you and happy Martin Luther King Day.

http://tinyurl.com/glgx2p5

[http://static01.nyt.com/images/2016/01/17/upshot/17up-view_art/17up-view_art-facebookJumbo-v3.jpg]<http://tinyurl.com/glgx2p5>

How to Bridge That Stubborn Pay Gap<http://tinyurl.com/glgx2p5>
tinyurl.com
Decades after President Kennedy signed the Equal Pay Act, the gender pay gap is still with us, but there are several strategies that could erase it.

Best,

Mary Dolores Young
Mayor Pro Tem

"All ethics . . . rest upon a single premise: that the individual is a member of a community of interdependent parts . . ." - Aldo Leopold