[bouldercouncilhotline] Hotline: RE: Economic impact analysis

cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov cmosupport at bouldercolorado.gov
Tue Aug 30 14:49:11 MDT 2016

Sender: Meschuk, Chris

Dear Councilmember Brockett,

The draft Economic Impact Analysis that is included in tonight's study session packet provides a total economic benefit to the local economy, as you described below. You are correct, that there is not a way to tie the economic impact analysis to the impact fee studies.

Your request for analysis on a square foot basis of fees and taxes paid by development would be a separate analysis, and this data is not contained in an economic impact analysis. To calculate such a revenue benefit is something such as a fiscal impact model, which takes into account all city revenue sources and all expenses, both operating and capital. This is a significant work effort, and could not be completed by September 20.

It would be very important to clarify what council would hope to derive from a study.  To isolate a per sq. ft. revenue from development and compare it to the impact fee study is still a bit of an apples/oranges comparison. Impact Fees only go to fund the growth share of capital infrastructure, whereas other taxes and fees paid by development are generally used for operating expenses. Additionally, a fiscal impact study would not be helpful in determining the level at which to set the affordable housing linkage fee.

We are happy to discuss further at the meeting tonight.

Thanks, Chris

Chris Meschuk, AICP
Senior Planner
[Planning,%20Housing%2]<https://bouldercolorado.gov/planning>
O: 303-441-4293
C: 303-386-5143
meschukc at bouldercolorado.gov<mailto:meschukc at bouldercolorado.gov>

Department of Planning, Housing and Sustainability
1739 Broadway | PO Box 791 | Boulder, CO 80306
Bouldercolorado.gov<http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/>